Monday, July 28, 2014

Michelle Duggar Remembers a Special Wedding Gift

Question from facebook: Did you and Jim Bob have a really memorable or unique gift from your wedding?
Wow, I had so many wonderful gifts from that special day. There are quite a few that come to mind, but there’s one in particular that my family and I really appreciated and use to this day.

When Jim Bob and I were setting up our home, we had a beautiful wood table that folded out so that you could add leaves and make it really big. We found it used and just loved it. Of course, when we were first married, we kept it folded down because there were just two chairs and the two of us at the time. So as a surprise, a sweet elderly couple that lived near us arranged to make us something really special for the table. They were like our adopted grandparents and they lived three doors down from our first honeymoon cottage.

Unbeknownst to me, they came into the house one day and measured our table so they could create a one-of-a-kind handmade crochet table cover. The best part was that they made it big enough to fit the table when it was fully expanded with all the leaves in place. When they presented it to me, I just cried. I had dreamed of the day we could expand the table to its fullest and see a big family around it. It just seemed like it’d be forever before we’d be able to unfold it all the way and actually use it. I couldn’t wait. We used it for special parties, baby showers, wedding showers, and events for friends until our own family was large enough to fit around it. That tablecloth has been a special keepsake all these years, and I have used it over and over.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments! We answer as many of your questions as we can, but due to the number of comments we receive daily, we are unable to answer every one. Our aim is to post all points of view, but we do not post anything that is profane, insulting, derogatory, or in poor taste.